Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Internal Wiring

I've always hated the wires running up the backbone on my sportster. But I've always been to busy to fix it. So while I had Jay Keele's sportster up on the lift I decided to take care of the issue. On Jay's bike... Not mine...But it still felt good to take care of the issue. While getting rid of Jay's handlebar switches I thought this was a perfect time to run the wires internally through the backbone.



So first I cut out all the wires I wasn't going to use. This reduced the size of the wiring harness a ton and made it possible to use a smaller sized drill bit.  Next I drilled a through hole down through the top of the backbone right over the top motor mount. I choose this spot because I planned on mounting the start button on the top motor mount. It worked out pretty slick.



After that I drilled the inlet hole behind the rear jug. Note: I removed the oil tank to get a clear shot at it.



I deburred the holes with a rotoburr tool like this. I'm pretty sure I've seen'em at harbor freight. I got mine from ATS tool supply. They are awesome!


You gotta knock all the burrs off or you run the risk of slicing through your wires wile riding your two wheeled throne. Putting an end to your therapy session.

After smoothing out the edges I painted the holes so jay's frame wouldn't rust out.


I used some poster board with a hole cut into it as a hole stencil. It worked sweet.


After the paint dried I used some mig wire to pull the wires through. You just gotta be careful how you bend it. You don't want to put to much of a bend in it or the wire will break.

After I got the wires pulled through I used some plastic flex conduit as added protection against wearing through the wires.

 While heating up some shrink tubing I muffed up a bit of the conduit. But I fixed it. But I didn't get any blurry crappy pictures of it. So you'll just have to take my word on it.





So there it is, all done... No more huge ugly wires running up the backbone ruining your ride...And now with the snow getting ready to fly I'm planning on ripping mine to shreds.


No comments: