Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Axle Clearance

Somewhere along the line of designing my axle adjusters I messed up a few dimensions. I'm not really sure how I muffed'em up but this is what I did to fix the problem.

Problem #1 Axle slot was a little (.012") to small to except the axle. I thought about opening it up with a diegrinder but thought that's the caveman way, and I'm a freakin' Machinist! So I stuck it in a vice and milled a flat on one side, then flipped it over and milled a flat on the other side.



It's kinda hard to see, but the flat is there... Only thing I can think of is that I miscalculated when I was converting MM into inches. Anyway, problem solved... The cool thing about it is I only need one socket when I'm snugging up the axle nut because the flats hold the axle. Nice....

While I was cutting up my axle I decided to clean up the years of beating on the end of the axle. So I chucked it up in the lathe and dolled her up.
 Before
 
After

I cut a little center into the end so my drift wouldn't mar the end up anymore.

I had to cut down the aluminum sliders and the flange on the head of the axle and the axle nut. I didn't get any pictures of this part but I did take some of the end result.



I'm not to stoked on how far the end of the axle sticks out of the axle adjuster... I'd like to make a cover to go over it at some point. But for now I think I'll just rock out with my axle out. I guess when the time comes I'll have to make a new axle to fit in inside the axle adjuster with a cover. That way the cover will stop the nut from coming off the axle. For now I'll just throw a hair pin in there for a touch of class.

Oh yeah, I had to shave a socket to fit the axle nut...

Thanks to the lovely Betty Page for modeling this handsome tool.






No comments: