Monday, June 20, 2011

Frame jig conundrum.

Well the Jig should of been secured better before welding. Always clamp your stuff down!!

No real good picture from the side here, but you can see the HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) from our torch application.  Brady today used a Bobcat to bend the jig using a press like attempt. (video and pictures to come)  He got a ton of the bend out of it.  Now when we say it's bent it's not queer eye for the gay guy, more like over a 8 foot span the middle is off the ground 3/8".  And well when he got back to the shop he wasn't happy with it so, after being told by his dad and me that you could use the torch and bend it back using the natural reaction metal has when heat is applied, he went to town. Long story short he negated all the Bobcat had done.  So as I called to let him know I was going to drop off the neck and tail stands, he humbly asked for my assistance in fixing the situation.
Truth be told I have never done this either, but learned about it at a Welding Metallurgy seminar last week.  So all the HAZ's you see are from me heating up different area's methodically from the center out.  At first I was discourage, and I knew that the metal was going to bend worse before it bent better, but it was slow moving.  But by the time I left the jig had moved about 3/16 down.  We don't need much, cuz we are going to machine the top and inside the gap, but still.  Yea for a long story!

No comments: